Thursday, December 12, 2013

Momento

 
For my momento piece I chose to represent the memory of me getting attacked by a dog when I was three years old. The attack tore the right side of my cheek and upper lip which required over 150 stitches and emergency plastic surgery to fix my face. Today I am left with only a small visible scar. I chose this memory because it is definitely a part of who I am. Instead of focusing on the negative and gruesome aspects of my attack, I chose to represent it as something of beauty because I actually like my scar and think it gives me character. I also don't look back and picture an awful experience because I love dogs and being attacked by one has never changed that. I used leftover fabric from a ripped dress I had; which is significant because the dress was broken but I was able to repurpose it and make it into something new. I cut it into circles and dipped the pieces into melted paraffin wax in several layers, which built a skin like appearance on the fabric. As the pieces hardened I used my hands and a bowl to shape them into slightly rounded circles. I glued them together, and decided to stitch the piece to represent the stitches. I chose silver thread so it would not stand out too much from the white and gray patterned fabric. I wanted the piece to be subtle and detailed; dainty. The cut out holes represent the indented scar. Overall I like the form of my piece as well as its visual impact and weight.
 
 
Some In Process Pictures:





Final Pictures:

 
 




 
 
 
 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Personal response to Inventory/The Tokens by Christopher Turner:

 
 
 
On Longing Notes: 
  • The body is the primary mode of perceiving scale.
  • Capacity of objects serve as traces of authentic experiences. 
  • The souvenir reduces the public, the monumental, and the three-dimensional into the miniature... that which can be enveloped by the body.
  • Nostalgia cannot be sustained without loss.
  • To have a souvenir of the exotic is to possess both a specimen and a trophy. 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment